According to the American Psychological Association (APA), anxiety is a common feeling of reaction to danger and fear. However, an anxiety disorder is when there is a severe, disproportionate fear that causes a change in the person’s quality of life. Although there are many treatments available for anxiety, such as therapy and medication, some people are turning to CBD as a natural alternative.
CBD and effects on anxiety, mood, and stress
CBD, or cannabidiol, is a chemical compound found in the cannabis plant. It has been shown to have several potential health benefits, including reducing anxiety and improving mood. Here are some ways in which CBD has been demonstrated to reduce anxiety and improve mood:
- Interaction with brain receptors: CBD is believed to interact with receptors in the brain that regulate mood and emotion. It can also increase levels of natural chemicals in the brain, such as serotonin, which can help improve mood and reduce feelings of anxiety.
One of the main receptors that CBD interacts with is the serotonin receptor. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that plays a role in regulating mood, anxiety, and other functions. Research has shown that low levels of serotonin may be associated with anxiety and depression. By interacting with serotonin receptors, CBD can help improve mood and reduce anxiety.
- Reducing stress: Some research suggests that CBD may help reduce stress by inhibiting the production of the stress hormone cortisol. Cortisol is produced in response to stress and can have negative effects on the body if present at high levels for long periods of time. By inhibiting cortisol production, CBD may help reduce stress and improve overall well-being.
- Reducing anxiety: Studies have found that CBD may be effective in reducing anxiety and improving sleep in people with conditions such as Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Panic Disorder, and Social Anxiety Disorder. It may also be helpful in treating depression and reducing symptoms of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
A study conducted on people with Generalized Anxiety Disorder found that those who received CBD experienced a significant reduction in anxiety symptoms compared to those who received a placebo. Another study found that CBD may be effective in reducing anxiety and improving sleep in people with PTSD.
Tips for taking CBD
If you’re thinking about using CBD to control anxiety, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Start with a low dose: It’s important to start with a low dose of CBD and gradually increase it as needed. This will help determine the most effective dose for your needs.
- Use a high-quality product: It’s important to use a reputable, high-quality CBD product to ensure you take a safe product. Look for products that are third-party tested and don’t contain unnecessary or complementary contaminants/additives.
- Talk to a healthcare professional: If you’re taking other medications or have an underlying health condition, it’s important to talk to a healthcare professional before using CBD. They can help determine if CBD is safe for you and advise on the appropriate dosage.
- Be patient: It may take some time to find the right dose of CBD and enjoy all of its benefits. It’s important to be patient and give CBD a chance to work.
There are different ways to use CBD to control anxiety. The most common method is to take it orally in the form of a tincture, oil, or capsule. These products are usually easy to dose and can be taken with or without food.
Another option is to use CBD-infused topicals, such as creams or lotions, which can be applied directly to the skin. This method is best for targeting specific areas of the body, such as the temples or wrists, and can be particularly effective in relieving stress and tension.
In conclusion, CBD has shown several potential health benefits, including reducing anxiety and improving mood. It’s believed to interact with receptors in the brain that regulate mood and emotion and inhibit the production of the stress hormone cortisol. CBD has also been shown to be effective in reducing anxiety and improving sleep in people with conditions such as Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Panic Disorder, and Social Anxiety Disorder, as well as in treating depression and reducing symptoms of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
If you’re considering buying CBD online to experience the benefits of this substance in anxiety control, it’s important to start with a low dose, use a high-quality product, talk to a healthcare professional, and be patient. With the right approach, CBD can be a safe and effective way to reduce anxiety and improve overall well-being.
- Shannon S, Lewis N, Lee H, Hughes S. Cannabidiol in Anxiety and Sleep: A Large Case Series. Perm J. 2019;23:18-041. doi: 10.7812/TPP/18-041. PMID: 30624194; PMCID: PMC6326553.
- Henson JD, Vitetta L, Quezada M, Hall S. Enhancing Endocannabinoid Control of Stress with Cannabidiol. J Clin Med. 2021 Dec 14;10(24):5852. doi: 10.3390/jcm10245852. PMID: 34945148; PMCID: PMC8704602.
- Hirotsu, C., et al. (2015). Interactions between sleep, stress, and metabolism: From physiological to pathological conditions.